Social media is one of the best ways to connect with people who already love your brand. The growing social media scene has given small business owners yet another way to promote their businesses online for relatively little investment.

Here are some tips on how to best navigate social media as a small business.

Get set up properly
The social media platform creators want you to achieve your goals on social media; they know how you can do it best, and they can probably explain it easiest. Watch their videos, read their guides, and follow the steps for setting up your account.

Decide which platforms are right for you
Don’t make assumptions about where your audience spends their time online. To make sure you’re using social media for business effectively, you’ll need to conduct some research of your own. This will help you to understand how your specific audience spends their time online.

Simplify your content creation
Creating social media content does take time, but not as much when you have the right tools at hand. Have you ever heard about the 80/20 rule or Pareto principle? Apply this rule to the time you invest in social media. Plan 80% of content in advance, and spend the other 20% on live conversations with an audience.

Choose tools for post scheduling and automation
Building a strong social media presence and remaining active takes time and effort. But using automation tools, you can automatically update your platforms with content and even schedule content for the entire month in advance.

Add value for customers
Social media is a great platform for increasing awareness of your brand and raising visibility at the top of the sales funnel. It’s not the place to be driving price points and conversion tactics at the bottom of the funnel.

Leverage inbound marketing and partnerships
Inbound marketing is an approach by which you create and publish content that will drive interested users closer to your offering. It’s a structured process using planning, scoring, and automation to manage long customer interaction processes. It’s a great approach to marketing for small business, especially in the B2B space.

Build reputation and authority
Social media isn’t simply about building a name for yourself among customers. Social media destinations such as LinkedIn can also help you network with industry personalities, and build authority among them. Authority in the industry can help your business attract better employees.

Final thoughts…

Overall, starting a small business is easy – growing the same business is hard!

In social media marketing, there’s no one-size-fits-all approach. You have to take one step and master it before proceeding with another.